Re: [opensuse-packaging] Why should an unstable released package be favoured over a stable svn package?
  • From: Dave Plater <dplater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:46:27 +0200
On 09/30/2010 02:33 PM, Michal Marek wrote:
On 29.9.2010 21:17, Dave Plater wrote:

I've had problems submitting a package fix to KDE:Extra before but in
that case the maintainers reply was rather rude that issue was simply
bad communication and was resolved and that particular maintainer
accepted my second submit attempt of KTrafficAnalyzer pointing out that
there wasn't a Url: in the spec file and asking me to fix it. I decided
to patch the released tarball to svn 44 and submit that along with the
fixed spec file but alas the first anti subversion maintainer caught the
request and declined it.
I was under the assumption that I'm helping to make openSUSE a better
distribution but my encounters with KDE:Extra have made me think that
that particular repository is an ego circus [...]

Hi David,

I think what you describe is just an issue of communication, I wouldn't
draw any conclusions here. Yes the policy or best current practice is to
package released versions, but if the latest release does not work at
all and the fix is only in svn, then it makes sense to break the policy.
But what you should definitely do is to document why are you doing this,
e.g. put into the *.changes file and the submit request message:

- Updated to svn rev 1234, because the latest release segfaults
on startup.
* Includes several other bugfixes
* Adds <feature 1> and <feature 2>
* Improves <feature 3>

If your request gets declined _again_, _then_ there is really something
wrong with the maintainer team :).

Just my two cents, I'm not involved in KDE:Extra.
Michal

Yes I wasn't in the best of moods after submitting the new package and
maybe I wasn't polite enough explaining to the first maintainer that the
release crashes and the submitted svn package works. I wrote this email
after the package had been accepted by another maintainer who pointed
out that there wasn't a url in the spec file. When I submitted the
update with url the first maintainer caught the request and blindly
declined it.
Dave P