[opensuse-packaging] Why should an unstable released package be favoured over a stable svn package?
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:17:45 +0200
Hi, I've been trying to submit an svn derived version of
KTrafficAnalyzer to KDE:Extra, the package used to be in the old kde3
community repo and has been around in openSUSE for quite a while. It's
been ported to kde4. I've been using the package from the authors home
project and it occasionally crashed and lost the usage stats but after
my recent update from KDE:Distro:Factory it consistently segfaulted on
start up. This is a good thing that enabled me to track down the problem
and patch it. It's now stable on a patched svn revision 44 so I decided
to submit this very usefull package to KDE:Extra and am quite happy to
maintain it as I use it all the time and it's a simple package only to
have it rejected on the grounds that it's svn derived. This seems a bit
stupid because the released package is unstable and even has a source
forge bug against it from an openSUSE 11.3 user.
I've had problems submitting a package fix to KDE:Extra before but in
that case the maintainers reply was rather rude that issue was simply
bad communication and was resolved and that particular maintainer
accepted my second submit attempt of KTrafficAnalyzer pointing out that
there wasn't a Url: in the spec file and asking me to fix it. I decided
to patch the released tarball to svn 44 and submit that along with the
fixed spec file but alas the first anti subversion maintainer caught the
request and declined it.
I was under the assumption that I'm helping to make openSUSE a better
distribution but my encounters with KDE:Extra have made me think that
that particular repository is an ego circus, it's easier to get a new
package into Factory than into KDE:Extra, I've two new packages in 11.3
one of them totally new to openSUSE and one that the previous maintainer
didn't have time for so it was dropped so I speak from experience.
The point of this email are the questions :- am I flogging a dead horse
trying to be a useful member of the community? Why do I get the
impression that KDE:Extra is maintained a an exclusive club?
Thanks for taking the time to read my rant.
Dave P