Re: [opensuse-packaging] susehelp... what it is?
  • From: David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:50:26 +0200
Hello,

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2010/9/26 David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Sun, 26 Sep 2010, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
So... What susehelp is? How does it work? Are all packages with some
kind of documentation supposed to install a file in
%{_datadir}/susehelp/meta?

susehelp was/is the WUI (Web UI) Access to the installed
documentation, look for "DOC_SERVER" and/or similar/related variables
somewhere in /etc/sysconfig. It was/is supposed to provide an indexed,
searchable WUI to the installed documentation.

"was/is supposed"?

I wasn't sure, if it's still there. Just looked. It is.

And %{_datadir}/susehelp/meta/ looks like the right place.

$ rpm -qif `which susehelp`
The SuSE Help System centralizes all Linux documentation in a clear,
structured manner with convenient search capabilities. For quick start,
click on the lifesaver in the desktop panel. For configuration, use the
KDE Control Center.

For more information, have a look at
/usr/share/doc/packages/susehelp/README.
[..]
$

c.f. (german):
http://de.opensuse.org/SDB:Hilfe_zur_Selbsthilfe#Die_SuSE_Hilfe.2C_Rettung_naht.21

Google translation says something about a "life ring" :-)

The icon for the app is a 'life buoy' or 'livesaver'.

(I don't want to boot the box with 11.2 to look that up now, I'll have
a look tomorrow, when I next boot it).

Sorry, I didn't understood this part. What are you going to look at?

The box that has openSUSE 11.2 installed. My main box, where I wrote
that is an (formerly) 6.2 system installed in '99 ;)

If Stellarium docs show in that "WUI"? Should I suppose it requires
some kind of setup that you already have in a 11.2 machine?

It'd be best if you have a look at the susehelp package
yourself. Basically, it sets up a virtual host in apache with some
cgi-scripts (to index, search manpages, infopages, and various other
documentation). And as you access that stuff via the Browser, I call
that a "Web User Interface".

HTH,
-dnh

--
Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?