Re: [opensuse-packaging] Question about RIS (Repository Index Service)
  • From: Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo.schapiro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:45:06 +0200
Hi,

I also took a look at RIS some time ago...

On 16/09/10 16:57, Vincent Untz wrote:
I played a bit with it, and it's all working fine. Except that there's
this behavior: "Newly added repositories should be added as disabled."

And also thought that this is really stupid :-(

Note that I do understand that for security, we'd want the repos to be
disabled by default. But, well, it kind of makes RIS less useful :/

I see two use cases for RIS:

1. Public RIS for standard repos. Here it is IMHO OK to add them disabled, if
there would be a GUI to enable them later on. Or maybe enable the required repos
as part of adding RIS.

2. Private/Corporate/System-wide RIS. Here one usually wants to set a policy
centrally and have the clients "do what I told you to". Here it would be really
important to have the abilitiy to enable and disable repos through RIS itself,
e.g. by adding an attribute to the Repo XML that sets the repo to be enabled or
not.

Here it is also important that any "zypper refs" will en/disable repos
accordingly to what RIS says!

This way we could get a cheapomatic yum channel manager (the RIS XML could be
created by a script with per-host customization ...) without much effort on the
zypper side and without impairing anything to the regular user.

Maybe we should open a FATE for this?

Kind Regards,
Schlomo