Re: [opensuse-packaging] Devel packages: Handling factory and older releases
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:09:28 +0200
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
I've split up a devel package from sane-backends for openSUSE:Factory. I have
added to packages needing the devel library the following:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1130
BuildRequires: sane-backends-devel
%else
BuildRequires: sane-backends
%endif

This allows the package, e.g. xsane, to build in an original 11.3 environment.

So, now the package works fine - unless sane-backends and the package are in
the same devel project since the split was done unconditionally in sane-
backends. Now the package xsane will not build for older releases since it
has
buildrequires on sane-backends but sane-backends in the same devel project
has
a separate devel package that would need to be required.

So, how to solve this the best way?

As long as there is no intend to release both or either involved
package as version update with the exact same spec file on older
releases just don't care about old releases. A potential backports
project will either have both packages anyways or can add
appropriate Subsitute lines in the prjconf.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel