Re: [opensuse-packaging] Devel packages: Handling factory and older releases
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:00:15 +0200
Le jeudi 16 septembre 2010, à 10:47 +0200, Andreas Jaeger a écrit :
I've split up a devel package from sane-backends for openSUSE:Factory. I have
added to packages needing the devel library the following:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1130
BuildRequires: sane-backends-devel
%else
BuildRequires: sane-backends
%endif

This allows the package, e.g. xsane, to build in an original 11.3 environment.

So, now the package works fine - unless sane-backends and the package are in
the same devel project since the split was done unconditionally in sane-
backends. Now the package xsane will not build for older releases since it
has
buildrequires on sane-backends but sane-backends in the same devel project
has
a separate devel package that would need to be required.

So, how to solve this the best way?

Don't do the %if magic if the package is maintained in the same project
as sane-backends. You really don't need it.

If people take xsane from this project and build it on 11.3 without
taking the dependencies from this same project, then they're doing it
wrong, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Vincent

--