[opensuse-packaging] The history behind docdir?
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:31:42 +0200
Can someone explain me why doc dir is handled the way it is? I mean:

- Why %configure sets every dir but docdir?

- Why we put docs in /usr/share/doc/packages instead of
/usr/share/doc/ (as Fedora does)? This way there doesn't seems to be
any specified function for plain /usr/share/doc and it just includes
documentation of (wrong?) packages.

- %_defaultdocdir vs %_docdir?

- %_docdir_fmt is %%{NAME} while in Fedora it also includes the
version. Also, there is any way to use it in the %files section?
I would expect to be able to do something like

%configure --docdir=%{_docdir}/%_docdir_fmt
%files
%{_docdir}/%_docdir_fmt

- When the build system installs documentation in %_datadir/%name,
should it be moved to %_docdir?

Thanks.