Re: [opensuse-packaging] Package Descriptions
  • From: Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:27:08 +0200
On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:18:05PM +0200, Karl Eichwalder wrote:
It already does or did, if it see html-like tags. But first we must
agree how we want to "tag" the description snippets in the spec files.
These are the old formatting rules; do they still apply?

IMHo most of them still apply. But note that the

1) the data in the spec file is the master data
2) rpm just displays the data with no changes
3) thus the text from the spec file already must look like
a formatted text for a 80 char width terminal.

* empty lines will be <p> tags. In a list environment, empty lines
end the list. In ascii mode they remain empty lines. linebreaks
result in a single space, that means that a line break has no
special effect.

ok.

* a not numbered list environment starts with a line that starts
with an asterix or a minus sign followed by at least one
whitespace.

ok.

* a numbered list environment starts with a line that starts with an
#

No. Looks bad in rpm. Either use

1.
2.
3.

or forbid numbered lists.

* at least two minus-signs on a line followed by whitespace form a
horizontal line

Maybe, but who needs that?

* headers are done by inserting the header text into equal
signs. The number of equal signs form the level of the heading::
==Second level heading== creates a header second level.

No. Looks bad in rpm. And who needs that?

Text Face
=========
Text can be formatted to have different face. This should be used in a
consistent manner over all package descriptions. TODO: Can somebody
provide a guideline?

Note: Ascii does not honor the tags.

* Bold text: Embed the text in three single '''quotes'''

* Italic: Embed the text in two single quotes.

* typewriter font (e.g. for paths etc.): Embed the text in two
{{curly brackets}}

* Preformatted typewriter text: Embed text in three {{{curly
brackets}}}. This text should be preformatted to 72 characters per
line.

I don't think we should do any text face formatting for the description.

Package Links
=============
Text can contain links to other packages we provide on the
distribution. YaST offers the links and on activation, YaST jumps to the
package.

There are two possibilities to specify links:

* [pkg://packname] inserts a link to a package. The package name is
displayed in Yast. The package needs to exist in the release.

* [pkg://package Description] inserts the link to package but shows
the description in the text.

The PDB checks if the package pointed to does exist in the SuSE release.

We should kill this feature, I don't think it makes sense anymore.

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder mls@xxxxxxx