Re: [opensuse-packaging] Package Markup / Package Tagging
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <darix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:49:14 +0200

On 2010-09-03 19:27:15 +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
This does not yet address the entire lifecycle of the patch. For this,
every touched patch needs to be mentioned, by filename, in the .changes
file.

I really dislike the fact that the changelogs of our packages include
from users' point of view completely irrelevant developer information. If
the build service is not good enough for this on its own, it at least
shouldn't be in the package's changelog.

it has to be in the changelog to find out when and why a patch got
removed.

No, it doesn't have to be. It is just that the build service as a revision
control system loses even to CVS. I may be a snooty developer, but I find it
rather sad to repeatedly do manually something that a machine could do.

this information is also interesting for users when they want
to find out why a fix/feature got removed.

I'm sure they're all dying to find out things like "Add libsoprano-devel
Require to libkde4-devel", "package baselibs.conf", "refresh patch to compile
on factory" (all real examples), or, with this new policy, something along
the lines of "drop nepomuk-final.diff patch, included upstream".

yes. one of the users are reviewer of submissions. they really like to
know why you removed the patch. maybe also other packager on the same
package.

and the whole thing should also work without getting an obs account (if
that is even enough, see below) to look up why the patch got
added/removed.

trust me ... walking down the history to find out when a patch got
removed and then guessing why is no fun. I had to do that more than once
already.

I've done that countless times with code in some repository. Noticeably less
painful than figuring it out from changelogs.

"less *.changes" -> /foo.patch

is much faster than hunting through osc log? maybe autobuild (because
the patch got added/removed before the obs times)

if you see some need to automated the work for yourself, then feel free.
but for communication with users and other packagers those extra
informations are very helpful. and trust me i see hundreds of packages
every week.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux