[opensuse-packaging] Re: Python 2.7 coming to Factory
  • From: Jan Matejek <jan.matejek@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 15:21:18 +0200
Dne 3.9.2010 13:10, Matt Williams napsal(a):
It's great to see this. Is there any way that I can test this? When I
try to install it, it causes conflicts with almost all Python packages
on my system as they all seem to require either "python = 2.6" or
"python(abi) = 2.6".

depends on how much "testing" you want to be able to do.

you can, for example, install python 2.7 from rpms by issuing:
rpm -ivh --force python-*.rpm libpython*.rpm
(not sure if you can do this through zypper)

this way, by using "install" instead of "upgrade" action, you get files
from python 2.6 alongside files from python 2.7
but you will break applications, because they have parts in
/usr/lib64/python2.6 and the new interpreter will be looking in python2.7

you can fix this in two ways:
a) relink /usr/bin/python to /usr/bin/python2.6 and use python2.7 only
explicitly

b) create a file /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/python2.6.pth, with
one line:
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages
(yes, that's /usr/lib even for 64bit machine)
this way, you'll force python 2.7 interpreter to look for missing bits
in python2.6 directories.
applications with binary modules will still be broken and you'll need to
run the old interpreter, but noarch applications should be ok.

hope this helps
m.

Cheers,
Matt