Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatic Dependencies of libraries
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:05:58 -0400
On 18/08/09 14:50, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

i'm a bit scared by this.

What is scary is the myriad of issues that changing the linker to the
previous behavior will cause, most notably..

a) a HUGE dependency bloat in libraries and binaries.
b) There will be no practical way to stop libtool insanity.

Why would this now be the 'fault' of the application / original lib linking?
I think this simply increases the risk of breaking when not using
exactly the same library (incl. dependency chain) on the machine that was
used when building the entire stack, no?

if applications, libraries or modules actually _use_ a library (aka.
include its headers) MUST link those libraries _explicitly_.

There is another case where apps load libraries at runtime and with
dlopen() and link with -ldl, this will fail anyway, rpm dependency
extractor, at least last time I checked, wasnt able to handle this case.