Re: [opensuse-packaging] Is Xvid allowed in factory?
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:58:05 +0200
On 08/18/2009 08:24 PM, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
On 8/18/2009 at 20:10, Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, I'm packaging blender-2.49a as an upgrade for eventual submission to
factory. The original source package contained xvidcore and I was
advised to remove it. I am surprised as it contained a gnu v2 license
and http://www.xvid.org claims it is an open source alternative to
mpeg-4. Further googling finds this statement " /XviD/ is an ISO MPEG-4
compliant video codec." but brings up no trace of legal battles or such.
I have honored the instruction to remove it but I just wondered if
anyone knows why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4

The issue is not of 'license' nature but of patents being upheld. As nobody
will ever acquire a valid patent license for this application, it will
not be distributable in many countries (mainly the United States of America,
the home of the main sponsor of this project, being legally liable for
the project).

Dominique

It's sad that an iso standard is patented (sorry it was patented and
then adopted as a standard but then so was ms ooxml accepted by iso) and
is preventing use of open source. I suppose a good guideline for what's
allowed as far as multimedia is concerned is if it's only in packman
then it's most probably a problem.
Regards
Dave P