Re: [opensuse-packaging] Communication problem within packagers
  • From: Luke Imhoff <luke@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:23:16 -0500
We hit a similar issue on our internal OBS instance, so I made some mods to the server so that a developer could grab a dependency graph and determine all packages that depend on their OBS package (it actually goes down to the Subversion code project itself, but that's not required.) So the developer can be in kernel-source and do svndownstream deps ls and get a listing all OBS packages that depend on kernel-source.

What happens is svndownstream gets a list of all the buildinfos (which a mod to the server merges into one xml file at /build/_builddependencytree) and then uses the bdep entries and some python code in svndownstream (which is built on top of osc) to generate a dependency graph.

The problem with it is my implementation. I couldn't follow all the code in bs_sched, so we had to switch to generating the full depgraph only daily (since it takes 8-9 minutes). I'm sure someone that actually wrote sub buildinfo() or bs_sched could improve on that time since in theory bs_sched has a depgraph already and there's potential for caching if you know you're going to ask for everyone's buildinfo. It's just bs_sched is a big loop and I couldn't figure out how to extract it any of the information it had in it.

Sebastian Siebert wrote:
Hello,

At first I'm a maintainer of PokerTH for packaging on openSUSE systems.
I want to discuss with you a simple problem.

Unfortunately I see a problem with a bad consultation between you and me
as packager with dependet package in OBS. In my case the package PokerTH
needs boost package. Any time the boost package was updated from 1.38 to
1.39. The Upstream from PokerTH know about a established problem in
boost 1.39, so the new library let crash the PokerTH-Server. For my case
I have to consult the boost packager for patching the boost package. The
patching is a least problem. The biggest problem is the nonconsultation
with all of packager of dependet packages before any update of the
dependet packages. The maintainer of package (e.g. boost) is completely
blind to me as packager (PokerTH), but backwards I know which package
depend on other sub-packages.

This communication order isn't a problem e.g.:
Package PokerTH -> Package boost -> Package glibc
Package Wesnoth -> Package boost -> Package glibc

In this case all packages are completely blind afterwards e.g.:
Package glibc -> Package boost -> Package PokerTH
Package glibc -> Package boost -> Package Wesnoth

This example isn't only for boost, but also other dependet packages.
I think, all other packagers have the same problem.

On this note we need a simple communication platform for packager like
Wiki-pages or something like that. On this platform every packager see
which package depends with other package and can easily consulte the
other packager or inform of a upcoming update of sub-package. In this
case we have a chance to discuss about potential bugs, incompatiblity
and so on. I wish more communication with packager from dependet
packages.

What do you think about this situation?
How we can change this situation?

Regards,