Re: Notifications (was: Re: [opensuse-packaging] New packages for factory)
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:34:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Aug 10 19:54 Peter Poeml wrote (shortened):

But the largest blocker for me is that I don't get any commit diffs at
all. (Not implemented.)

How can I track the work of others, and review it, and how can they
follow on what I do, without? So far, I have to rely on good commit
messages, or dig out the changes in an elaborate manual process.

Any kind of commit diffs is too late because then the other one
had already finished his work and all you can do is to accept
or reject his work but one cannot do collaboration from the
beginning.

One needs an information when someone starts to work on a package
to have real concurrency control and to be able to do collaboration
from the beginning.

One needs transaction semantics when working on packages:
1. Begin of transaction
2. Change it
3. End of transaction

A weak synchronization point preferably with a kind of weak locking
before someone starts to change it (so that all others who also
work on it are at least informed) and a strong synchronization point
preferably with a kind of three way merge when changes are committed.

Unfortunately - as far as I know - the build service does currently
not implement concurrency control.
As far as I know the current build service does even not implement
real revision control (like e.g. SVN).

As far as I know currently revision control and concurrency control
happens somehow informal at the very end during commit in the heads
of various project maintainers based upon a plain message system
but there is neither intrinsic built-in revision control
nor concurrency control in the build service.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex