Re: [opensuse-packaging] Doc files and shared library packaging (Re: /mounts/work_src_done/STABLE/libwebkit not checked in)
  • From: Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:11:11 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:

2009/7/31 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi,

Sending this to opensuse-packaging because I'm not sure about the
policy...

Le vendredi 31 juillet 2009, à 20:06 +0200, lrupp@xxxxxxx a écrit :
Script 'mail_helper' called by lrupp

Hi vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx,
/mounts/work_src_done/STABLE/libwebkit was not checked in by lrupp for the
following reasons:

Packaging documentation in library packages is not allowed:
http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/Shared_Library_Packaging_Policy#Package_Contents

(note that the doc files in question are only license files + NEWS, not
API documentation, or "how to use this library" documentation)

I made the change, but I consider the policy broken here: if libwebkit11
is LGPLv2 and libwebkit12 is LGPLv3, then I can only have one
libwebkit-devel, and therefore one of those two packages won't have the
right license installed.

Can someone clarify if I'm right or wrong, and if we need to adapt a bit
the policy? :-)

I would say they should be in the main package. They are not
development related and since they will end in %docdir/%name and %name
is versioned there is no file conflict.

Until we have a policy about where licenses should go they should not
go into the shared library packages. The NEWS file certainly never
should go there (the only sane policy that would allow licenses in
a shared library package would be one that forces the license file to
be present in _every_ sub-package, in
/usr/share/doc/packages/$subpackage/, which is not necessarily %doc).

Yes, the wiki should be updated to clarify this.

I'll do that.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>