Re: [opensuse-packaging] Factory submission overview page
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:22:10 +0200
2009/6/23 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
On Tuesday 23 June 2009 17:29:25 Cristian Morales Vega wrote:

I see... so now I have an improvement request, recursive search ;-)
The devel project is games, that hasn't any pending change... but
games has home:gekker:Factory as devel project, that has an updated
version.
devel projects shouldn't have devel project itself, that's insane. Is that
a common use case?

In my experience, not really. Isn't the first case I see but I only
saw half a dozen at most. But perhaps should? Factory has updated
packages (comparing to the latest stable release) somehow "stable".
Then there is the devel project, where people is supposed to
experiment... and where these packages are "backported", compiled also
for older distros.
An user that adds the games repo does it because he wants the latests
version of a game (sometimes that's a must, the game plays online and
the latest version is required by the server), not because he wants to
help testing experimental patches. The fact that a single project is
at the same time the "devel project" and the "backport project" is
difficult to understand.

The thing is that at practice the devel projects aren't really
"unstable", an user can use the games repo without worrying. So I have
no problems continuing like we are, but seems to be a problem in the
theory.