[opensuse-packaging] Re: Fixing --as-needed packages (was [opensuse-factory] status distribution)
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:15:29 +0200
2009/6/17 Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>:
Fixing fltk I also saw "fltk_gl" isn't linked against GL, so since I'm
with it... it this a bug? The ld man says:
"The reason that --allow-shlib-undefined is the default is that the
shared library being specified at link time may not be the same as the
one that is available at load time, so the symbols might actually be
resolvable at load time."
and the thing is that I don't know too much about openGL, but it's my
understanding that there are multiple libraries (with different
sonames?) implementing it (nVidia has one, ATI probably other...), I'm
correct? If so, is the fltk_gl/openGL a case where it is really
correct to allow undefined symbols?

After reading a little, and in case someone is interested... OpenGL
extensions are searched through a glXGetProcAddress() function
available in any libGL. So it's fine to link against libGL, any
implementation dependent feature will be usable anyway even if the
libGL at link time didn't provide it.