Re: [opensuse-packaging] cyclic repo dependencies (Gnome in first place)
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 01:16:01 +0200
Hi,

Le vendredi 19 juin 2009, à 19:54 +0200, Dirk Müller a écrit :
On Friday 19 June 2009, Vincent Untz wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear and this wouldn't help. Here's an example:

ConsoleKit (G:B) needs glib2 (G:F).
gnome-session (G:F) needs ConsoleKit (G:B).

Whatever we do, there'll be a package that needs G:F and is needed by
G:F.

this is only a problem for openSUSE 11.x (with other words non-Factory
users),correct?

depending on gnome-session in G:F needs the latest ConsoleKit to work
/compile at all:

needs latest ConsoleKit:

G:F:
ConsoleKit
gnome-session

G:B
glib2

does not need latest ConsoleKit:

not forcing the latest (possibly unstable or completely nonworking version
for
older distros) ConsoleKit onto users is preferred, so:

X11:common:Factory
ConsoleKit

G:B
glib2

G:F
gnome-session (build against G:B for old dists and X11:common:Factory for
factory).

I'm sorry, I don't understand your approach:

+ for 11.1 users of G:F, we don't need the latest ConsoleKit. We need
the ConsoleKit of 11.1 with a small additional patch. We don't want
the latest one.

+ glib2 is in G:F, so why would it be in G:B?

if you would use X11:common:Factory more for such packages that are shared by
GNOME+KDE would definitely help the KDE team. we frequently get complains
from
users that try to use GNOME:Factory and KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop that we rely
on two different versions of common packages, which breaks one or the other
desktop in horrible ways.

Sure, it makes sense to move ConsoleKit and other fd.o packages to
X11:common:Factory. I was considering the option today; just didn't have
time to investigate things completely. But it's on my list of things to
do for making G:F a bit smaller.

(fwiw, the only reason ConsoleKit ended up in G:F is because it was
marked as maintained by gnome-maintainers in PDB, and when we start
using the build service, we moved all such packages to G:F)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.