Re: [opensuse-packaging] error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'char*'
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:42:52 +0200
On Friday 05 June 2009 11:13:06 Marcus Meissner wrote:
On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 02:42:31AM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 11:32:34AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag 01 Juni 2009 schrieb Martin Vidner:
Hi,

in case you wonder why your C++ package build started to fail with
error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'char*'

It's because glibc-2.10 has been checked in which contains stricter
prototypes for some functions. Instead of the C prototype
char *strchr(const char *, int)
we have
char *strchr(char *, int)
const char *strchr(const char *, int)

Details are at http://udrepper.livejournal.com/20948.html

Thanks Martin for the pointer. The fallout of this is pretty large so
I'm asking anyone with a failure to fix packages - the change is done
easily done and we need to get the current rate of failures down before
we can integrate more things.

A lot of fixed packages are already waiting to be accepted, thanks for
that. But I'm afraid a lot is left to do ;(

By the way, I just created a sr for another glibc update that might
induce some build failures - in glibc-2.8, namespace pollution of many
header files was fixed and many definitions are now guarded by USE_GNU
etc.; at that time, this introduced too many build failures so we
reverted this change for the time being, but by now, I think most
applications should have been fixed.

If it fixes getline() it will get 17 more packages fixed:

Adding a getline prototype is actually a fix not a bug, see the link Martin
posted.

What worries me much more are the random crashes we see all around,
I count 25 of those and they weren't there before the update. What worries
me most is I could not reproduce them with osc build, but they are not bound
to a specific build host - and according to bug 509398, valgrind "hides" them.

So I'm wondering if we shouldn't back out of glibc 2.10 for the moment, then
again this might be a small fallout you don't notice normally and only in Xen
guests with n cpus - as in the build service, after all glibc 2.10 changed the
malloc pools pretty drastically (according to drepper's words).

Greetings, Stephan