Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packages that Requires: pkg-config
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 18:36:18 +0200
Richard Guenther wrote:

I don't see why they need to Require: pkg-config, they will work
perfectly fine without it so at most Recommends: pkg-config.

When a -devel package provides a .pc file, developers expect that all
other projects will detect and include their library with pkg-config
file. Any attempt to compile against such package without pkg-config
should be considered as incorrect.

Huh, not. That would be a very confused upstream policy and if really
required should be very few cases.

It depends. For example, any attempt to compile/link any package with
GLib/GTK+/GNOME without using provided pkg-config .pc file is considered
as incorrect and unsupported. => having glib-devel installed without
pkg-config is an unsupported combination.

So at least for GLib, GTK+, GNOME, it is clean Requires.

I think that many projects follow this policy: we provided .pc file,
please use it. But yes, there are projects that guarantee stable
compilation API without pkg-config.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec