Re: [opensuse-packaging] When a -devel package should require another -devel package?
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:35:19 -0400
Cristian Morales Vega escribió:
Well, just that.
Sometimes I find a -devel package requires another one, why? I do that
when the pkg-config file has a "Requires: XXX" and rpmlint complains
the same isn't in the RPM spec file, but normally I also don't see why
the .pc file has such an entry.

THis is usually a bug in the pkgconfig file, a _huge_ amount of this
issues exists.

One case that makes sense is if the library is statically compiled and
depends on another library, but that's no the common case. So, to know
when I have to fix a .pc file (that should use Requires.private
instead of Requires if the problem are static librariries)

In the meanwhile, keep the Requires.private line commented, pkgconfig is
buggy wrt of the handling of it.

and when I
must follow what it says... in which case a -devel package should
depend on another one?

When it is using header files from other -devel package.