[opensuse-packaging] When a -devel package should require another -devel package?
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:33:11 +0200
Well, just that.
Sometimes I find a -devel package requires another one, why? I do that
when the pkg-config file has a "Requires: XXX" and rpmlint complains
the same isn't in the RPM spec file, but normally I also don't see why
the .pc file has such an entry.

One case that makes sense is if the library is statically compiled and
depends on another library, but that's no the common case. So, to know
when I have to fix a .pc file (that should use Requires.private
instead of Requires if the problem are static librariries) and when I
must follow what it says... in which case a -devel package should
depend on another one? With shared libraries I can't think of any
valid case...

P.S. ...no, right now I don't have any example, it's something I have
seen sometimes in the past and somehow I'm asking now.