Re: [opensuse-packaging] Shared libraries are not executable
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:30:29 +0200
Le mardi 26 mai 2009, à 18:11 +0200, Michael Matz a écrit :
Hi,

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:

On 5/26/2009 at 17:25, Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Of course, shared libraries are executeable.

Some can (and should) be, and indeed you have given the only two examples
(ld-usb* and libpthread in addition, but that again is glibc). That's
why
that hint is in the "Best practice" sections, and not a policy. Because
indeed, most shared libraries are _not_ executable, which should be
reflected by their permissions. For being a shared lib they don't need
be marked 755.

Wondering how much this policy (best practice) is applied on our
distribution:

Yep, that's a problem. We hoped by documenting this as best practice over
time the distro will catch up :)

# /usr/lib64> ls -lad lib* | grep "^[^l]rwx" | wc -l
1063
# /usr/lib64> ls -lad lib* | grep "^[^l]rw-" | wc -l
202

... and it seems we slowly succeed. Some years ago nearly all shared libs
were 755 ;)

Isn't this something that should just get fixed upstream in some of the
autotools? We'd then get the right thing for free in most packages.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.