Re: [opensuse-packaging] Shared libraries are not executable
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:02:18 +0200
On 5/26/2009 at 17:25, Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Of course, shared libraries are executeable.

Some can (and should) be, and indeed you have given the only two examples
(ld-usb* and libpthread in addition, but that again is glibc). That's why
that hint is in the "Best practice" sections, and not a policy. Because
indeed, most shared libraries are _not_ executable, which should be
reflected by their permissions. For being a shared lib they don't need to
be marked 755.

Wondering how much this policy (best practice) is applied on our distribution:
# /usr/lib64> ls -lad lib* | grep "^[^l]rwx" | wc -l
1063
# /usr/lib64> ls -lad lib* | grep "^[^l]rw-" | wc -l
202

so I have 5x as many executable libs than others ;)

Dominique