Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:02:46 +0100
Le mercredi 25 février 2009, à 17:45 +0100, Richard Guenther a écrit :
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Vincent Untz wrote:

Le mardi 24 février 2009, à 16:55 +0100, anicka@xxxxxxx a écrit :
I think that we spent countless hours of time working on something that
no one
is interested in. Even its very presence might be annoying in some cases.
Should we really continue doing it? Would not be better to just go back
several
years and start to do it like others do it?

This was discussed on opensuse-gnome last month:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-gnome/2009-01/msg00132.html

The main issue I have with changing this policy is when people submit an
update to the devel project. Then the maintainers have to review this
update, and without the changelog, it's hard to know if something is
wrong in the update.

There's the commit message from the build-service RCS, isn't that
a proper place for noting the changes?

You misunderstood me. If the upstream tarball has a NEWS file
mentioning:

+ Fixed this.
+ Included new great feature.
+ Add patch from $distro.
+ Drop dependency on foo.
+ Add optional feature depending on libawesomeness.

Then, it's possible that someone updates the package to this upstream
version but forgets to drop the BuildRequires on foo, or to add the
libawesomeness-devel BuildRequires. That's what I want to catch when
reviewing changes.

Sure the example I gave is pretty trivial, but some NEWS file are
cryptic unless you know really well this part of the stack, so it can be
easy to miss one relevant change.

As a packager, I don't want to include all those details in .changes. As
a reviewer, I need access to those details. (note that they don't have
to be in .changes as long as I have easy access to them)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.