Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvornik@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:13:24 +0100
On st 25. Ășnora 2009, Stephan Kulow wrote:
And you're not the first one to complain either. What I wonder: how can
make sure the maintainer _knows_ about the changes of upstream? E.g. I
updated exiv2 to a new version as I fixed gcc 4.4 compilation. And I did
read through the changelog, but still I didn't spot the little "[design]
Publish only API objects in the installed header files." - which broke a
dozen other packages.

Well, this concrete change was discussed on the Exiv2 mailinglist a lot.
Package maintainers are already encouraged to watch upstream mailinglists.

In general, the only reliable way, how to spot such problems is to run
a test build of dependent packages. The question is if it should be left up to
the maintainer. Maybe we could make it part of the review process.

Vladimir