Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: anicka@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:33:52 +0100
... I agree with that. We could create symlinks from NEWS or ChangeLog
to Upstream_Changes (or something like that) and later patch rpm to use
this file (eg. rpm -q --upstreamchangelog pkg.rpm). We could also add
macro %changes which will mark the file in filelist and create the link
automatically.

Yes, these features are nice to have. I do not think that patching RPM right
now is a feasible option but at least the macro would be very convenient.

I would really welcome to move pur package conventions this direction.

There is one problem, though. Some projects have information scattered
in both NEWS and ChangeLog files, but I agree that it is a problem of
these projects, not distribution.

Sure. But usually, one is a summary of most important changes and the other
something like a dump of version control system logs. The only thing we really
have to do is to choose, which is more interesting and it is probably just up
to maintainer.

Anicka