Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:26:09 +0100
anicka@xxxxxxx wrote:
Actually, although it is much better than the thing we are doing now, just
imagine how weird will it look after several updates:

- updated to 1.2.3 (see NEWS)
- updated to 1.2.2 (see NEWS)
- updated to 1.2.1 (see NEWS)

It is not so weird when you consider the entries headers

* Tue Nov 13 2008 Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
- updated to 1.2.3 (see NEWS)
* Wed Aug 14 2007 Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
- updated to 1.2.2 (see NEWS)
* Sat Dec 22 2006 Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
- updated to 1.2.1 (see NEWS)

but ...

It would be probably better to think up some standard location for a changelog
and maintain it as a symlink to the proper file, without having to talk about
it again and again in RPM changelog.

... I agree with that. We could create symlinks from NEWS or ChangeLog
to Upstream_Changes (or something like that) and later patch rpm to use
this file (eg. rpm -q --upstreamchangelog pkg.rpm). We could also add
macro %changes which will mark the file in filelist and create the link
automatically.

There is one problem, though. Some projects have information scattered
in both NEWS and ChangeLog files, but I agree that it is a problem of
these projects, not distribution.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o