Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Vladimir Nadvornik <nadvornik@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:09:02 +0100
On Ășt 24. Ășnora 2009, Juergen Weigert wrote:
On Feb 24, 09 16:55:27 +0100, anicka@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello!

I would like to discuss here one aspect of our changelog policy.

Unlike other distributions, we have an unusual rule for our RPM
changelogs (.changes file): when updating to the new version, we must
process an upstream changelog and copy the most important things to RPM
changelog. I would like to discuss this policy and its problems and
benefits.

$ rpm -q --changelog
is a useful tool for *really* comparing packages.
Often the pakage version number is unchanged, but an important patch was
added. In this case, our changelog is the only source of information.

For version updates, the full upstream changelog is relevant.
Shortening to a 10 line excerpt may cut away the one bit of information
that a user wanted to know.

I fully agree. Shortening and re-formatting upstream changelog into
.changes is not that good idea.

I'd suggest to allow a URL-reference to the upstream changelog
as replacement for the excerpt.

Then the document should stay there during package lifetime. This can be
guaranteed only on Novell server.

Other possibility would be to package the upstream changelog under some
standard name and eventually extract it into repository metadata.

Vladimir