Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:53:10 +0100
Juergen Weigert wrote:
I did not mean to say that the full upstream changelog should be in our
changelog. My point is that an excerpt is dubious, as it is both too noisy
and too crippled. If we can agree that simply stating the version-number
is good enough, fine with me. Although a pointer to upstream would still be
no harm.

URL is useless when you have no connectivity. Upstream changes should be
packaged (ChangeLog, NEWS, etc.) and if there is none, packager could
create it (and copy the changes from website or so, but these cases are
rare). If we will follow that, it would suffice to put this into our
changes:

- updated to 1.2.3 (see NEWS)

This requires to have the package installed first.
I'd like to give the user as much information as possible before he
installs.

When the package is downloaded, it really is not a big difference to do
"rpm -qp --changelog pkg.rpm" or to view it contents using mc and browse
for the right file. It would be good if there were changes in repository
metadata BEFORE downloading the package to system, but this is not
possible even now AFAIK.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o