Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelogs need changes?
  • From: Juergen Weigert <jw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:16:46 +0100
On Feb 24, 09 16:55:27 +0100, anicka@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello!

I would like to discuss here one aspect of our changelog policy.

Unlike other distributions, we have an unusual rule for our RPM changelogs
(.changes file): when updating to the new version, we must process an upstream
changelog and copy the most important things to RPM changelog. I would like to
discuss this policy and its problems and benefits.

$ rpm -q --changelog
is a useful tool for *really* comparing packages.
Often the pakage version number is unchanged, but an important patch was
added. In this case, our changelog is the only source of information.

For version updates, the full upstream changelog is relevant.
Shortening to a 10 line excerpt may cut away the one bit of information that
a user wanted to know.

I'd suggest to allow a URL-reference to the upstream changelog
as replacement for the excerpt.

cheers,
JW-

\ | 0911 74053-508 __/ (____/ /\