Re: [opensuse-packaging] translation-update-upstream: new package and feature
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 03:14:07 +0100
Le mercredi 18 février 2009, à 16:08 +0100, Stanislav Brabec a écrit :
Vincent Untz wrote:
I didn't realize that earlier, but for SLE, once it's released, we don't
rebuild packages, do we? (or well, I guess they're rebuilt with SP1,
SP2, etc.) I would think we'd want to just provide updated lang
packages?

Yes, the tool limits a it can provide translations. Submitting
translation-update-upstream triggers package rebuild.

Any attempt to update translation without package rebuild forces
overriding of all strings provided by packages. It would require strict
policy:

- No po updates allowed in spec files.
- No translation fixes allowed in spec files.
- translation-update will become a "must have" package, as it contains
translation fixes.

If SLE packagers and users can live with these limitations, then it's
possible to use the simpler way. It's impossible for SLE10/SLE11.

That actually sounds like a good thing to me :-)

Anyway, going back to the introduction of translation-update-upstream.
I'd like to hear feedback from people outside of the GNOME team, since
it will also be used for non-GNOME packages at some point, I guess.
Personally, I'm really mixed with having to edit all spec files to add
support for this, but if everybody is fine with it, then I guess it's a
non-issue and we'll just do it this way..

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.