Re: [opensuse-packaging] Desktop categories: mismatch in brp-desktop and rpmlint
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:57:10 +0100
Vincent Untz wrote:
Le samedi 14 février 2009, à 23:20 +0000, David Bolt a écrit :
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Stephan Kulow wrote:-

<snip>

brp-desktop checks if the desktop file will map to one of our menu
structures.
And according to /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu the category is
X-SuSE-Core-Multimedia, but AudiVideo already maps there.

Purely out of curiosity, I've built up a list of all the desktop
categories using those in the openSUSE packaging guidelines and those
listed on freedesk.org. I've then tested whether they are valid using
desktop-file-validate test and also whether they pass the rpmlint
checks[0]. I've considered adding the list to the wiki but wondered if
anyone has a good idea where it should be placed, and where to add links
pointing to it.

FWIW, I'm more and more convinced that we should just remove all
X-SuSE-* categories and only use the ones in the specifications. [1] We
can fix the spec where it needs to be fixed.

Yes, http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
definitely needs to be fixed:

- Allowing Science as a main category without Education.

- Not forcing sciences to be Education (e. g. Geography, Economy,...)

- Classify mapping software and map editing software. It is Graphics,
Geoscience, 2DGraphics, or Geography? Should we create Maps category?
As it is a popular type of software, we need to say it explicitly.

- PIM may be useful category (probably secondary for Office).

- Allow toolkit categories GPE and XFCE.

- Finally provide a decision for Religious/Spiritual software to prevent
yet another flamewar on XDG list.

- Create a menu lint tool directly associated with the specification.
It can be just a set of desktop files with all allowed combinations
and a tool checking for match and checking that desktop-file-validate
processes it correctly. The link on the beginning of this thread is a
good start.

- Create bugzilla account at freedesktop.org for the menu spec.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,