[opensuse-packaging] gcc 4.4 preparations
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 13:07:24 +0100
Hi,

gcc 4.4 is nearing it's release date and so we put it up
in openSUSE:Factory/staging to see how hard it hits us.

The "porting to 4.4" guide is pretty short, but still it affects
a good portion of packages.

We have currently 44 failing packages in standard repo (gcc 4.3)
and > 200 in staging repo (gcc 4.4). There are quite some follow
up problems, e.g. with boost and gcj. Still if you want to see if
your packages are affected - or want to help others, look here:
http://tinyurl.com/ac8se4

We have no concrete plan to put gcc44 as default compiler into
factory, but it might still be a good idea to fix compilation with it
as you update packages. The porting guide can be found here:
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/porting_to.html

Most packages failures I looked at were either about missing includes
(stdio or stdint) and broken #if statements. Both are pretty trivial to fix,
so everyone is welcome to file submit requests against the devel
projects. Please note that both debian and fedora already put effort
into gcc 4.4 porting, so there might be patches already floating around
upstream to fix these issues. Might not hurt to use google ;)

Of course as plans to make gcc 4.4 the default emerge, you will get
more details.

Greetings, Stephan