Re: [opensuse-packaging] Desktop categories: mismatch in brp-desktop and rpmlint
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr-cnpxntvat@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:20:09 +0000
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Stephan Kulow wrote:-

<snip>

brp-desktop checks if the desktop file will map to one of our menu structures.
And according to /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu the category is
X-SuSE-Core-Multimedia, but AudiVideo already maps there.

Purely out of curiosity, I've built up a list of all the desktop
categories using those in the openSUSE packaging guidelines and those
listed on freedesk.org. I've then tested whether they are valid using
desktop-file-validate test and also whether they pass the rpmlint
checks[0]. I've considered adding the list to the wiki but wondered if
anyone has a good idea where it should be placed, and where to add links
pointing to it.

I've broken the list down into a series of tables. The checked
categories are:

Invalid categories that are listed as available in openSUSE[1];
Reserved categories;
Valid categories;
ConsoleOnly categories;
GTK categories;
GTK;Gnome categories;
Qt categories;
Qt;KDE categories;
Motif categories;
Java categories;

The tables are temporarily available through my site at this location:

<URL:http://www.davjam.org/~davjam/linux/desktop_categories.php>

[0] Also, as an assist for those building cross-distro packages, I've
worked through the same list to see which ones Fedora appears to
support. I'll probably do the same test again once 11.2 goes into beta
just to keep it up to date.

[1] Funnily, there are presently three categories listed in the openSUSE
Packaging Guidelines that both fail validation and cause RPM builds to
abort:

AudioVideo;Jukebox;
Game;3DGame;
Utility;XMLUtility;

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
| openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b |