Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:47:56 +0100
Karl Eichwalder wrote:
Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx> writes:

I can imagine, that a complete package build description in openSUSE 13.0
may consist from just 7 lines:

[...]

SRC_URI = "${SOURCEFORGE_MIRROR}/gqview/gqview-2.1.5.tar.gz"
inherit autotools

I can't. There is not only gqview-2.1.5 we want to build a 1000 ×.
Things looking easy are often just
obscure--cf.

There is nothing obscure in ./configure ; make ; make install DESTDIR=...

But our spec file contains a lot of pad saying just:
- Yes, we want to package all files, that upstream installs.
- Yes, we want to integrate desktop file, that upstream installs.
- Yes, we want to follow Shared Library Packaging Conventions.
- Yes, we want to place include files to devel package.
- Yes, we want to place .pc files to devel package.
- Yes, we want to use standard parallel make.
- Yes, we want to use standard installation process.
- Yes the devel package requires everything that .pc file declares to
require.

Instead we can say:
- Handle package using standard autoconf based process.
- Follow .pc files and use standard splitting.

Yes, such tool must support non-standard steps, but it is not a problem:
- Apply these patches.
- Install this extra file.
- Add this extra dependency.
- Split in a non-standard way.

/etc/gnome_defaults.conf. Accept that this world is a nice
place of diversity and learn to cope with the chaos.

Obscure SuSE specific configuration like /etc/gnome_defaults.conf is an
answer to upstream GNOME, which provided infrastructure for selecting a
default application, but it did not provide any way to guess such
application.

Getting many bugs about incorrectly associated MIME types, I wrote this
one.

One way would be not to package all and every upstream package release.

Another way would be a tool, which will do it for us.

If we decide to update once a year, we can loose users that want latest
version of just this package.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec