Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:39:46 +0100
On Thursday 12 of February 2009 17:37:18 Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Johannes Meixner wrote:
I don't know if the ':-)' was meant for the whole paragraph.
If not, what you wrote is - as far as I see - a total misunderstandig
of what Stanislav Brabec meant.
Using whatever check-tool on top of RPM is the totally wrong way
to "solve" any intrinsic problem in RPM.

I had the impression that there is some frustration that even basic
policy changes aren't fully enforced after years. I wanted to remind
that someone has to step up and just do it in those specific cases
mentioned above.

Even such simple policy change needs years to complete just because rpm
has no way to do it globally.

Depends on the policy you change. There are a lot of knobs in
/usr/lib/rpm/macros. %run_ldconfig is an additional knob in SUSE.
Obviously it was simple to change it from doing something stupid to
just calling ldconfig. If calling ldconfig becomes deprecated
tomorrow you can globally change it to something else, rebuild,
done.

All packagers are involved and every one
has to complete the task for all maintained packages:
grep ^%run_ldconfig */*.spec | wc -l
359

for/getpac/sed/submitpac :-)

And we will get another 'Please not bypass a devel project' [1] e-mail here.
We have a BuildService, we have a devel projects, we are opened and we would
like to have a big participating community, ...

But we still use an internal build system to break it all. It's not a
technical question about merging capabilities of osc, but rather about some
processes we use, because we wouldn't break a devel projects even we would
improve a spec file quality by removal of deprecated constructs in spec. No
one volunteer (and a regular package maintainer) would be happy, if someone
thirds somtimes breaks his packages in Devel project in OBS.

I know that this is a quickest approach to fix it, and it was used many times.
But nowadays with buildservice and a devel projects it shouldn't be used
anymore. It simply breaks a whole idea of Buildservice and an opened
development of openSUSE.

Interesting question is, if it's possible to do it with same efficiency and
speed using BuildService and devel projects only and what needs to be done to
improve it, because I don't see any way how this should be done. But it needs
to be discussed on opensuse-buildservice ML ...

[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2009-01/msg00135.html

Regards
Michal Vyskocil