Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:37:18 +0100
Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Johannes Meixner wrote:

I don't know if the ':-)' was meant for the whole paragraph.
If not, what you wrote is - as far as I see - a total misunderstandig
of what Stanislav Brabec meant.
Using whatever check-tool on top of RPM is the totally wrong way
to "solve" any intrinsic problem in RPM.

I had the impression that there is some frustration that even basic
policy changes aren't fully enforced after years. I wanted to remind
that someone has to step up and just do it in those specific cases
mentioned above.

Even such simple policy change needs years to complete just because rpm
has no way to do it globally.

Depends on the policy you change. There are a lot of knobs in
/usr/lib/rpm/macros. %run_ldconfig is an additional knob in SUSE.
Obviously it was simple to change it from doing something stupid to
just calling ldconfig. If calling ldconfig becomes deprecated
tomorrow you can globally change it to something else, rebuild,
done.

All packagers are involved and every one
has to complete the task for all maintained packages:
grep ^%run_ldconfig */*.spec | wc -l
359

for/getpac/sed/submitpac :-)

How many years would take enabling of final force-fail check for Fedora
incompatible packages?

No idea but that has nothing to do with rpm. You'd have the very
same problem with any other system if you have to modify thousands
of legacy packages in two projects with different origins.

Here is an example from class based build system:

openembedded/classes/package.bbclass, line 662:
postinst += bb.data.getVar('ldconfig_postinst_fragment', d, 1)

Changing of ldconfig_postinst_fragment value you will change this policy
for all packages in the whole distribution.

New policy can be enforced in less that one minute.

What does that prove exactly? Do you want to say the one who decided
years ago that everyone needs to put %run_ldconfig calls in %post
was mistaken and the correct implementation would have been to
always have %post call ldconfig automatically?

I have no idea what a 'class based build system' is supposed to be.
However if you e.g. want to automatically have different post
install scripts for certain kind of packages you'd have to tag your
packages first and then have macros insert different scripts
according to the tags definition.
You can have that with rpm too. It's just that we have thousands of
packages that have no tags.

Even more clever than having ldconfig calls in post install scripts
would be if rpm could call an appropriate post installation action
automatically according to package contents. After all it already
knows that the package installs stuff to e.g. /usr/lib or
/usr/share/info so it could call ldconfig/install-info etc
automatically.

cu
Ludwig

--