Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:29:46 +0100

P. S.: With a similar amount of work, we may think about migration to
any of modern package-class based building tools or design a new build
system from scratch:
http://en.opensuse.org/BrainStorming_Prague/Way_we_do_packaging_is_ineffe
ct ive

Okay, I read this and knows now that everything is bad.

Can you make a suggestion how to improve ? Maybe even with small steps so
we can actually make something better ?

(I doubt that you want to suggest to use deb, right ?)

No, the static nature of spec files if also included in debs. It's easier add
some (few) missing features of deb to rpm, than switch SUSE to deb. Only one
valid reason should be a Debian community and packages (that's Ubuntu way),
but I'm sure Standa means BitBake[1] or some variants.

But it's completely different topic.

[1] http://bitbake.berlios.de/manual/

bye
adrian

PS: Small rant: I think only czech and netherlands people can reach the
moaning level of typical germans ;)

--

Adrian Schroeter
SUSE Linux Products GmbH