Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:27:58 +0100
Am Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2009 13:20:13 schrieb Vladimir Nadvornik:
On čt 12. února 2009, Michal Vyskocil wrote:
On Wednesday 11 of February 2009 16:42:59 Andrew Wafaa wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-11 at 16:24 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le mercredi 11 février 2009, à 15:51 +0100, Michal Vyskocil a écrit :
So main questions are:
- how could be Packaging/ maintained (eg. we would have a Docbook
original somewhere and convert it to wiki as SUSE packaging
conventions [2])? - how could we structure existing information to
be more readable and useful for community?
- what is missing, or unclear and needs to be improved?
(- and who will do this all ;-))

Can't we simply adopt the Fedora doc and make it a cross-distribution
documentation?
(we might have some differences, but I'm sure we can drop some, and
work with Fedora people on a good way to highlight the differences)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Good idea.

I'm sure Fedora would be happy and willing to co-operate on this.
Having spoken to several people and been approached by several whilst
at FOSDEM about ways in which they can work with openSUSE and other
projects, they are keen to help in the cross pollination of
information.

If Fedora would be interested, why not. I'm afraid that this would be
better, but rather impossible way. Stanislav Brabec told me about his
effort on unification of RPM macros used by various distributions, but it
failed. It failed on a simple reason - no one want to change his
policy/macros/etc. I CCing him, so he should be able provide more details
about current state of discussion on rpm-devel (or rpm-maint, I'm not
sure) mailing list.

90% of Fedora guidelines applies on openSUSE too. It would be relatively
easy to just take the Fedora guidelines and do some adjustments.

Another question is how to keep the Fedora and openSUSE versions of the
guidelines synced in the future.

Work together with them on it. We have discussed this before already with
Fedora and they were interessted in a joint approach as well.

I can tell you the contacts in PM, in case you do not have them anymore.

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter