[opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:51:02 +0100
Hi,

I compared a Fedora Packaging Guidelines [1] and SUSE Packaging Convetions [2]
and I think that Fedora documentation is really better than we provide. It's
not only about amount of information, but mainly in structure of it. For
example if we want to read about License policy in SUSE and start on Packaging
page [3] - how can user get from this page to equivalent of Licensing
guidelines [4]? Fedora way is Packaging -> Packaging/Guidelines ->
Packaging/LicensingGuidelines

Or another example - is really necessary talk about BuildService account on
packaging cookbooks of KDE[5] or Java[6]? In fact with this structure, where
they exists outside Packaging/ it makes a sense, but it's really necessary?

If we want to help a community to participate on openSUSE (for example
packaging in Contrib) we also need a better documentation than we have.

So main questions are:
- how could be Packaging/ maintained (eg. we would have a Docbook original
somewhere and convert it to wiki as SUSE packaging conventions [2])?
- how could we structure existing information to be more readable and useful
for community?
- what is missing, or unclear and needs to be improved?
(- and who will do this all ;-))

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines
[2] http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/SUSE_Package_Conventions
[3] http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/