Re: [opensuse-packaging] Please do not bypass the devel projects
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 08:52:09 -0800
On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 11:42:14AM +0100, Michal Marek wrote:
Bernhard Walle napsal(a):
My point is that even hg is too complicated for packaging. IMO every DVCS
is
too complicated for the packager that maintains two or three packages. It's
easier to get an error when you commit and the remote copy has been updated
than having to merge afterwards.

I'm quite sure that this will be the reaction if you switch to git/hg.
Because
it was the reaction in a project where we switched from svn to hg ("Why
can't
we just continue with svn, it was simple"). But I cannot proof it.

:-). When we switched the SUSE kernel package repo from cvs to git, a
few people weren't entirely happy about it ("I have to first commit and
then push? WHAT?? And checking out a remote branch takes multiple
command line switches? Are you kidding??"). And these are kernel
hackers, so I think you have a point here.

for people who are used to svn, and need/want to switch to git, look at
"easygit", which makes things match up pretty much the same as what they
are used to:
http://www.gnome.org/~newren/eg/git-for-svn-users.html

People do love to complain though :)

greg k-h