Re: [opensuse-packaging] Please do not bypass the devel projects
  • From: Bernhard Walle <bwalle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:17:44 +0100
* Lars Marowsky-Bree [2009-02-03 16:59:19]:
On 2009-02-02T19:04:04, Bernhard Walle <bwalle@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Just having to use git to package software would prevent users from
contribute to openSUSE.

You're getting side tracked. The main point was to reuse an existing
DVCS as the base, instead of adding feature upon feature to osc itself,
thereby creating yet another inferior SCM solution. (With commands
different from any of the existing ones, creating an entry barrier.)

git or hg are simply probably the most widely known choices.

My point is that even hg is too complicated for packaging. IMO every DVCS is
too complicated for the packager that maintains two or three packages. It's
easier to get an error when you commit and the remote copy has been updated
than having to merge afterwards.

I'm quite sure that this will be the reaction if you switch to git/hg. Because
it was the reaction in a project where we switched from svn to hg ("Why can't
we just continue with svn, it was simple"). But I cannot proof it.

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Development