Re: [opensuse-packaging] OBS Scheduler = Dead
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 10:59:03 +0100
Am Dienstag, 3. Februar 2009 10:43:14 schrieb Magnus Boman:
Adrian,

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 10:34 +0100, Adrian Schröter wrote:
Am Dienstag, 3. Februar 2009 03:27:30 schrieb Hubert Figuiere:
On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 12:55 +1100, Magnus Boman wrote:
Are there any plans to have someone monitor (and fix issues) in OBS
24x7?

Atm, the scheduler is dead and everyone is a sleep, which is quiet
annoying as it's daytime where I am.

Actually it was the dispatcher, not the scheduler. (I can't remember when
the dispatcher was ever dieing, need to check this).

Yeah sorry, just took a stab in the dark.

yet another remark, the OBS backend is written in a way to avoid data
corruption in first place and reachability in second place.

This means, if some service notes a critical error, usually a file operation
on disk does not work, it dies. This avoids a situation were we either corrupt
our sources or build results. And in fact we are really horrible reliable from
that point of view :)

Right now we use svn trunk and not the stable branch. This is of course not
the best for a most reliable service, but I think we are not too bad, since we
are also able to deliver functionality which is requested ASAP.
Stuff like the upcomming Factory build results wouldn't be possible to develop
until next openSUSE release otherwise. (Because we have only one system which
is as large as the openSUSE instance, so we do not see some errors in smaller
setups).

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)