Re: [opensuse-packaging] Please do not bypass the devel projects
  • From: Bernhard Walle <bwalle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:04:04 +0100 (CET)

On 2009-02-02T16:09:48, Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I now counted. All sources of SuSE (ever checked into STABLE, since april
1998), multiple same files hardlinked (i.e. especially the tarballs take
up space only once), with all text files uncompressed (i.e. exactly
our usual source package directories) take up 294372148 KB == 280 GB.

A git repo of all that would take up similar amounts of space, perhaps
some few gigs less (because of compressing and delta-packing the text
files). I wouldn't want to have that local ;)

It is obviously complete madness to suggest that there would be a single
repo for everything. ;-)

It's also important that the stuff is *simple*. I personally don't like git because it's too complicated (I prefer hg or svn for software where I can decide which revision control system is used). I'm more interested in the software itself than managing the software. Yes, for the kernel where 1000 people contribute such complicated tools are necessary, but not for simple projects where 5 people work on something.

Just having to use git to package software would prevent users from contribute to openSUSE.

Bernhard