Re: [opensuse-packaging] Conventions for summary/description/group of devel packages?
  • From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 13:02:08 +0200
On Thu, Oct 23, Vincent Untz wrote:

Hi,

Looking at the packaging conventions, I didn't see any information for
creating devel packages, which is something rather... common :-) (or
maybe I missed the page about this)

It looks to me like all packages use different conventions for this,
while a standard pattern for summary and description would make sense.

Eg, a standard summary could be "Development files and libraries for
$package" and a standard description could be "Headers and libraries for
developing applications that use $something."

We had that in the past, but it didn't worked out. There were too many
exceptions necessary. But I don't remember details anymore.

Also, right now, it's not clear to me if the group of the devel package
should be the same as the non-devel package or something like
Development/Libraries.

Should be somewhere below Development, not in the same RPM group as
the main package is.

GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)