Re: [opensuse-packaging] php5 compile questions
  • From: Cristian Rodríguez <crrodriguez@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:15:15 -0300
Andre Huebner escribió:

and cause developers to watch their steps of
cost of expensive patching/loss of older software?

the directory layout is a tiny part of the problem, thinking that having
libraries in /usr/lib instead of /usr/lib64 will avoid the need of code
changes is a very naive way to see things.

The place where libraries are doesnt make your software "64bit ready" in
anyway see the section "Porting code" of document:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/dwamd_AMD64_Porting_FAQ.pdf
just to have an idea... in short.. if it compiles does not mean it will
work ;-)

You have the perfect example package where changing the library
locations path dont fix anything, PHP4 has a not minor quantity of 64
bit portability problems, that wont ever be fixed, most critical ones
where fixed in PHP 5.1.x and the vast mayority of them are fixed in PHP
5.2.x..So.. you may see a lot of strange behaviuors ( that people tend
to workaround) crashes..etc.. even in the cases we wanted to fix the
problems, we can't :-P because many of the fixes will break the ABI and
people out there do rely in third party, propietary extensions...

If you use a 64 bit system , you must use PHP 5.x for this and many
other reasons...

--
"A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no
mercy. "

Cristian Rodríguez R.
Platform/OpenSUSE - Core Services
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH