Re: [opensuse-packaging] Menu handling
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:16:29 +0200

Vincent Untz wrote:
| Le mardi 22 avril 2008, à 23:31 +0200, Pascal Bleser a écrit :
[...]
|> Again, from my experience they almost never provide .desktop files that
|> match openSUSE's tree of categories.
|> Thinking of it, make that "almost never" a "never"
|
| Wouldn't it make sense to fix upstream desktop files to have the right
| categories? It would mean much less work.

No, they're not compatible.
SUSE chose to have more fine-grained and meaningful categories than what
Fedora (and upstream, almost always) is using.

If we want to use upstream (== Fedora) menu categories, then we have to
completely dump what we're using now and adopt theirs instead.

(not quite sure why you're mixing Fedora and upstream here?)

What from [1] is missing in [2]? (I can see a few categories, to be
honest, but nothing major)

[1]
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Package_Conventions/Desktop_Menu#9.4._Category_List
[2]
http://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html#category-registry

Note that:

+ it's possible to change the fdo specs to add new categories

+ if some categories are missing, then openSUSE does not respect the
fd.o specs since those missing categories should be prefixed by X-.

Maybe I'm being strong-headed, but I don't see the point of the current
way if we don't try to push things upstream. It just harms us in the
long term (since it's a kind of fork that we have to maintain).

Thanks,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.