Re: [opensuse-packaging] Menu handling
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:31:47 +0200

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
| Many years ago, SuSE used selfmade menu. Now, according to
| freedesktop.org's specs and implementations in software there's no need.
|
| Upstream provides .desktop files, mostly well translated.

Not from my experience. They're almost always having Fedora categories
(Applications/*), which are quite simplistic and do not comply with the
SUSE Package Conventions.

| By creating .desktop files, you're reinventing the wheel, making SUSE's
| menu entries inconsistent with other distros, and messing in menu.
[...]

| * wrong categories set (Liferea is RSS aggregator, not newsgroups
| client/whatever, same applies for Miro)

Cool. What "RSS aggregator" do you mean ?
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Package_Conventions/Desktop_Menu#9.4._Category_List

| * configuration apps not in GNOME's control center but in usual
| "Applications" menu and/or application browser
|
| openSUSE should stop that. Apps already provide .desktop files, as said
| before. desktop-file-install should be used to install them (probably
| with --vendor and --delete original as schema).

Again, from my experience they almost never provide .desktop files that
match openSUSE's tree of categories.
Thinking of it, make that "almost never" a "never"

cheers
- --
~ -o) Pascal Bleser http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/
~ /\\ <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx> <guru@xxxxxxxxxxx>
~ _\_v The more things change, the more they stay insane.