Re: [opensuse-packaging] Questions regarding branding policy
  • From: Dirk Mueller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:36:18 +0200
On Thursday 10 April 2008, Stanislav Brabec wrote:

Maybe it is a bad idea, but I used version the branding conforms. I
expect, that these packages will be reviewed, and artists will either
replace branding image to 11.0 one or say that the package is good
enough for 11.0. Until that, these packages don't fulfil the dependency.

ah, so you're using it to specify that the branding is not up to date. I see.

It depends, whether libzypp will install supplementary packages
automatically, or only if dependencies are already selected.

if branding-openSUSE is installed, then all packages that supplement will be
installed as well.

In the first case, I should have to update specs and replace the plain
supplement by the packageand(foo:branding-openSUSE).

where foo is.. ?

There is also problem with proposed self conflict. It is ignored by
libzypp, but it does not work in plain RPM. I don't know any other way,
how to say, that foo-branding-openSUSE conflicts with all other
foo-branding-*.

I think selfconflicts are not portable, and a strange concept. it would be
possible to solve this via a file conflict, but this is ugly as well. I don't
actually understand why they should conflict though (other than if they
already do by installing conflicting files)? wouldn't it be better to allow
that somebody replaces just foo-branding-openSUSE with foo-branding-mySUSE
without having to do anything else?

We will need another solution to remove obsolete branding packages. The
same problem will appear for obsolete shared library packages.

Hmm, in case the openSUSE branding is obsolete and we use the closedSUSE
branding? I guess that can be solved by a plain obsoletes then.

Proposal explicitly talks about it. Dependencies are not strictly
versioned. Base package may need new enough branding package, branding
package conflicts with old incompatible base package.

but does not obsolete them?

Yes. But we should wait for first experiences. I am afraid, that some
parts of proposal may require update (see above).

thanks.

--
RPMLINT information under http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging/RpmLint